Sunday, August 26, 2007

Movie-ology

My wife and I love to watch movies! Since I was a kid, watching movies has been a reward. My first straight A report card allowed me to watch my first rated R movie with my dad, Missing in Action 2! It was always something that my family could do together though we are all different.

While I was in college movies were not only a weekend past-time but part of my course of study. Several of my classes had us watch films and write reviews of what the movie was trying to get across to their contemporary audience and what we could get out of it today. The question came to me, if I did this for a university prof why not for my Bible study.

Since college this has been a passing thing with no real structure. Last year when we started Christian Challenge in Pueblo we decided to make it a main event. This is a time that we watch a contemporary movie, discuss it's cultural and social message, and discuss what religious message it may contain or association derived. With a little practice, almost any movie could be used to bring about a spiritual conversation.

Most of your non-Christian friends will not come to church on Sunday but they will watch a movie. If you want to find a way to share the story of Jesus Christ with a friend, use a story that they know from Hollywood; this is what Paul did in Acts 17.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home